Finally, the end is in sight.
The Packers will kick off their 2013 Training Camp in less than two weeks, marking the end of the long Summer of waiting, and the long awaited return of Packers football.
Until then, we are still left waiting.
Speculation on what the 2013 version of the Packers will look like has been taking place for some time, and will continue to do so until Week 1 kicks off against the 49ers on September 8.
During the four weeks of Training Camp, the futures of 90 men will be decided. Each of them will enter the St. Norbert dorms on that first night of Training Camp with a different story.
None of them know if this Training Camp will be a continuation of their NFL careers, or their only shot at making an NFL roster, only to have to look for work in four weeks.
With that said, a quick look at the Packers current roster a mere 11 days from the start of Training Camp reveals 11 interesting facts:
- The Packers have only four players on the roster 30 or older (Johnny Jolly, John Kuhn, and Tramon Williams(all 30) and Ryan Pickett(33).
- There are only two players on the roster who are listed as pure centers: Garth Gerhart and Patrick Lewis.
- There are two fullbacks on the roster: John Kuhn and Jonathan Amosa.
- Two is also the number of kickers currently on the roster: Mason Crosby and Giorgio Tavecchio.
- Only 3 pure guards are on the roster: TJ Lang, Josh Sitton, and Lane Taylor
- On the flip side, Ryan Pickett is the only player with more than 10 years expereince currently on the Packers.
- There are as many Tight Ends-a position seen as one of strength- being brought to camp as there are Safeties-a position seen as one of opportunity (6).
- Andrew Datko and Derek Sherrod share the distinction of tallest player on the roster at 6’6″
- DuJuan Harris is the shortest player on the team at 5’8″.
- There are 27 (!) rookies on the Packers roster.
- There are 12 players with only one year of NFL experience. Combine this with the 27 rookies and the Packers will begin training camp with nearly half of their players with one or less year of NFL experience.
What does this mean on July 15, 2013? Nothing. Just some quick observations about the current roster, helping to fuel the “what if” conversations that surround pre-Training Camp.
The real conversations begin on July 26, 2013.
John Rehor is a writer at PackersTalk.com.
He can also be heard as one of the Co-Hosts of Cheesehead Radio. ---------------------
He can also be heard as one of the Co-Hosts of Cheesehead Radio.You can follow John on twitter at jrehor or email him at [email protected]