Things are starting to pick up in the National Football League as we inch closer to the new league calendar year. The NFL combine kicks off today and runs through Monday, March 4 in Indianapolis. So, there is plenty to discuss on the draft possibilities and who the Packers should be drafting.
Last night, Zach Kruse of Packers Wire, reported that Mike Silver of the NFL Network was reporting that the Packers are not expected to re-sign wide receiver, Randall Cobb. He has an expiring contract and is set to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 13.
Brian Gutekunst drafted three wide receivers in last years NFL draft. All three of those receivers, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, and J’Mon Moore, played last year and expect to have bigger roles in the offense this upcoming season.
The front office is high on all three wide receivers. Moore didn’t play much last season, but he still has the talent and high ceiling. Valdes-Scantling and St. Brown flashed their ability throughout the year. Both expect to play bigger roles in new head coach Matt Lafleur’s offense.
So, it is not surprising to hear that the Packers are not expected to re-sign Randall Cobb. He has been dealing with injuring the past few years and has had declining production. Cobb has had several memorable moments throughout his career. He caught a hail mary from Rodgers just before halftime against the Giants on January 8, 2017. With 48 seconds to go in a week 17 match-up against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field, Aaron Rodgers found Cobb for a 48-yard touchdown to stun the Bears in an epic win. Let’s not forget week 1 of this past season. Cobb caught a 75-yard touchdown pass from Rodgers to beat the Bears in the most memorable game of the season. Outside of that one play, Cobb had a disappointing season.
Randall Cobb isn’t the only free agent that Brian Gutekunst and Matt Lafleur have to make a decision on. The Packers have a long list of players to decide if they will bring back or move on from.
Here is the list of the teams free agents:
- Randall Cobb – WR – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Clay Matthews – OLB – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Muhammad Wilkerson – DT – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Marcedes Lewis – TE – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Lance Kendricks – TE – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Byron Bell – RT – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Davon House – CB – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Bashaud Breeland – CB – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Eddie Pleasant – FS – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Ibraheim Campbell – SS – Restricted Free Agent
- Jake Ryan – ILB – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Geronimo Allison – WR – Restricted Free Agent
- Dan Vitale – FB – Unrestricted Free Agent
- Lucas Patrick – G – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
- Justin McCray – G – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
- Adam Pankey – T – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
- Kentrell Brice – S – Restricted Free Agent
- Reggie Gilbert – DE – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
- Robert Tonyan Jr. – TE – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
- Jake Kumerow – WR – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
- Fadol Brown – DE – Exclusive Restricted Free Agent
The Packers have 10 draft picks this year. With two in the first round and six inside the top 112 overall. Plus, cap space to sign free agents. Brian Gutekunst has a good opportunity to inject talent and depth on both sides of the ball this off-season. It is going to be an interesting off-season and its just begun.
Anthony Haag is a writer for PackersTalk.com. He has been a Packers fan since the day he was born and truly bleeds green and gold. He makes annual visits to Lambeau Field and has attended his fair share of games. You can follow Anthony on Twitter at @anthony_haag