Today is the first day of training camp. A Packers roster prediction is an annual tradition for me, I like to put in writing of what I believe the roster is going to look a month from now. I then compare this prediction to what actually happens at the end of the August. I hope that that this is a close perception of what the Packers week one 53-man roster plus practice squad will look like.
On offense, I went under the assumption that offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins and Kylin Hill will not be ready for the start of the season. It’s most likely that the Packers will move him to the regular season PUP, which means he will be out for the first 6 games. This allowed me to keep an extra lineman. At wide receiver, I really wanted to keep 7 but couldn’t justify it. It’s also possible that the Packers add a player at tight end or receiver who isn’t on the roster right now.
(2) QBs: Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love
(3) RB: Aaron Jones, AJ Dillion, Tyler Goodson
(6) WR: Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Sammy Watkins, Amari Rodgers, Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs
(5) TE: Robert Tonyan, Marcedes Lewis, Josiah Deguara, Tyler Davis, Dominique Dafney
(9) OL: David Bakhtiari, Jon Runyan, Josh Myers, Zach Tom, Royce Newman, Sean Rhyan, Cole Van Lanen, Yosh Nijman, Rasheed Walker
The initial 12-15 spots on defense were pretty easy but I had to make some tough choices on the backend of the roster. The defensive line seems set unless they decide to keep six players, but the rest of the defense has a lot of unproven talent that will need to prove itself during camp.
At OLB, I took drafted players with the greatest potential over their undrafted counterparts. Preseason may change my mind but at this point players I like such as Tipa Galeai and Randy Ramsey are on the outside looking in. This could also be a position they bolster sometime in August.
In the secondary, I leaned towards players on the backend that I think will be cornerstones on special teams. As such, I think that young safeties Innis Gaines and Vernon Scott are on the hotseat. It will be quite the battle for them the next few weeks as players try to earn roles on defense and special teams.
(5) DL: Kenny Clary, Dean Lowry, TJ Sheldon, Jarran Reed, Devonte Wyatt
(5) OLB: Rashan Gary, Preston Smith, Kingsley Enagbare, Jonathan Garvin, La’Darius Hamilton
(4) ILB: De’vondre Campbell, Quay Walker, Kris Barnes, Issiah McDuffie
(6) CB: Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes, Rasul Douglas, Shemar Jean-Charles, Keisean Nixon, Rico Gafford
(5) S: Adrian Amos, Darnell Savage, Shawn Davis, Tariq Carpenter, Dallin Leavitt
Special Teams (3):
No real surprises here. Barring injury, both Kicker and Punter are locked up. However, at long snapper, we have a real battle. I lean towards the devil I don’t know in rookie Jack Coco. I appreciate a player that has fought so hard for everything he’s earned so far on the field, and also wears one of my favorite numbers (56).
(1) K: Mason Crosby
(1) P: JK Scott
(1) LS: Jack Coco
Regular Season PUP: Kylin Hill, Elgton Jenkins
This is a roster that can and will compete for a Super Bowl. I’m excited to see over the next month who impresses enough to be a part of something special in 2022.
Jordan is a lifelong Packer fan who grew up in Idaho and now lives in Seattle, Washington. You can follow him on twitter at @jordantwolf.